Sustainable fashion. Why it is the future and how you can help?
Let's get started!
Do you know what is in your shopping bag? Where did it come from and where will it go?
Did you know that the 'fast fashion' industry is one of the most polluting industries in the world? It is responsible for 10% of global carbon emissions and is the second largest consumer of water. The industry also creates a huge amount of textile waste – it is estimated that only 1% of clothing produced each year is recycled. The impact of the fast fashion industry doesn’t stop at environmental damage. The working conditions in many factories are often poor, with long working hours and low remuneration.
On the other hand, sustainable fashion is also defined as slow fashion movement that focuses on an environmentally and socially responsible process of design, manufacturing and sale. It is the future of fashion because it takes into account the entire life cycle of a garment, right from the sourcing of materials to the manufacturing process to the end of its life. Sustainable fashion is the future because it reduces pollution and waste, is better for the environment, the artisan, and the customer.
At Kapaas, our garments are made from sustainable materials that are souriced responsibly, are designed to last longer and are environment friendly. Sustainable fashion brands like ours use recycled materials, organic cotton, and eco-friendly dyes. We are mindful of ensuring a healthy, safe, and hygienic working environment and ensure fair pay for our artisans.
Sustainable fashion is the future. How can you help?
Here are 9 easy ways to help make the fashion industry more sustainable.
1. Recycle and up-cycle your clothes.
2. Mend your clothes instead of throwing them away.
3. Buy local and organic fabrics when possible.
4. Be mindful. Choose quality over quantity while shopping for new clothes.
5. Research the companies you buy from to make sure they have sustainable practices in place.
6. Support brands that use sustainable materials and practices.
7. Purchase items that can be worn in multiple ways, for multiple seasons and multiple reasons.
8. Avoid fast fashion brands that produce cheaply made clothing.
9. Educate yourself and others about the importance of sustainability in the fashion industry. Be an Ambassador for change.
We truly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to read our blog! If you found it interesting and would like to read more about sustainable fashion, please follow us on our social media or check out our website for #EverythingKapaas.
Thank you for your continued support!